Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hair...to have or not to have?

Okay so here's a big question I pondered a lot last year: What is it about hair?

I shaved my head for the first time over a year ago. I confess the second I saw myself in the mirror I regretted it. What had I done? How could I be beautiful without my curls?

Then I got over myself. The truth is I love my shaved head! I consider it a practice of simplicity and a practice of self love.

The interesting thing is the conversations that I started to have around femininity and long hair. How did this correlation even begin? What is it that makes us associate long hair with the ultimate in feminine beauty. It's true that from time to time short hair styles are in vogue, but for the most part in white American culture long hair is preferred for woman.

When I cut my hair short in college after having grown it out for several years I heard mostly positive comments except for guy friend who said, "but you were so beautiful with long hair." I don't understand the obsession.

This is not to say that I think long hair is unattractive, I just wonder what gives it superiority.

1 comment:

  1. Oh honey I don't know. I mean, I think I know why guys like it. If historically girls have kept their hair long, then historically guys have associated long hair with femininity. And you know, a lot of guys like feminine girls. I've been wondering about that myself. I have my hair long, and for the most part I like it, but I worry that it's a drain on the environment. I mean literally, it takes a lot of water to even get the whole dang thing wet.

    ReplyDelete